While we would love to think that an executive director will stay for decades, the current average term of an executive director is only about six years. Ideally, their transitions are planned but that is not always the case either and the last thing anyone wants to happen is for an organization to lose clients, services, funding, or donors because of a poorly managed transition.
This is why it is so critical for an executive transition to be managed well. Much of executive transition work will fall on the board of directors, who are all well-intentioned but are still volunteers with other commitments. New Chapter Coaching can help boards navigate this challenging time with:
- Writing an emergency and/or long-term succession plan
- Creating a plan with the board to effectively manage the executive transition
- Conducting pre-search assessments of staff, stakeholders, or internal needs
- Identifying what the organization needs in its next leader
- Building a smart search strategy and plan
- Developing an onboarding plan to ensure the new executive director has the best chance at success
The graphic below outlines our unique transition process. Different organizations have different capacities and not every organization will need all the services. We tailor our services to meet your need, no matter how large or small your organization is, we can make your next executive transition easier for the organization, the board, and those it serves.
Contact Us to Learn More or Get Started